Today’s homes are more reliant than ever on appliances and electronics that are controlled by extremely sensitive microprocessor circuits. These circuits are easily damaged or disrupted by power surges originating both inside and outside the home. GHMS offers a line of residential protection products designed to protect the electrical and electronic equipment in your home.
Power surges are extremely brief spikes in electrical power that burn up electrical circuits inside appliances and electronic equipment. The most damaging type of power surges enter the home through power lines, cable/satellite lines and/or telephone lines. These “externally generated” surges originate from the electric utility or lightning. More common are power surges generated by equipment inside the home. These “internally generated” surges are the result of large appliances turning off and on, like air conditioners and refrigerators.
What damage can power surges cause?
- Physical Damage: The most noticeable, and dramatic, these are the result of large power surges originating outside the home.
- Disruption: The computer locks up or shuts down, the DVD malfunctions, the washing machine shuts down before the end of the cycle.
- Shortened Lifespan: Also called “electronic rust.” Your equipment mysteriously stops working sooner than one would expect.
How can Surge Protection protect my home and increase the life of my equipment?
Our Surge protection divides your home into three protection zones and uses the same technology and “staged protection” strategy used to successfully protect industrial and commercial facilities.
- Main Zone: First stage of defense and the key to protecting your home. Main Zone Protectors are installed at the main power panel, cable TV/satellite service and telephone service.
- Interior Zone: Second stage of defense for equipment inside the home.
- Exterior Zone: Second stage of defense for equipment located outside the home such as air conditioning unit, pool pump, or well pumps.