If you have a vacation home in Southern Florida and need to ensure that it’s secure and in the best possible state to be closed and unoccupied for several months throughout the year, you can benefit from the services of a professional home management services team. If you are set on preparing the vacation home yourself, there are a few things that you will need to consider and pay attention to:
- If you want to avoid a flooded vacation home, turn the water off at the inlet source to the house. There are items such as water heaters and ice-makers that can flood the home.
- Ensure that there is no food left behind that can attract insects and other pests.
- To ensure that it is more secure, have a lamp or two set to a timer so that there is the appearance of someone being home.
- Unplug all appliances and equipment that does not absolutely have to be in use while you are away.
- Close all toilet lids and plug all drains so that nothing can enter the home via these points.
- Place new batteries in all fire and smoke detectors.
- Ensure that the garage door is closed and in the lock position.
- Consider setting a home maintenance contract in place so that your air conditioners can be checked regularly, your plumbing and electrical systems monitored, your landscape and pool tended to and general security checks carried out.
Your chosen home maintenance team will also be able to respond to any emergencies such as vandalism, fire outbreak or the alarm being activated. In addition to that, it’s nice to have professionals available to hurricane proof your home if a storm is on the way.
Safeguard your vacation home while you’re away
At Gardens Home Management Services, we ensure that your vacation home in Southern Florida is well taken care of while you’re away. What better way to start your vacation than to return to a home that’s just as well cared for as if you’re living there permanently. For more information and advice and to learn more about booking us to care for and maintain your home while you’re away, contact us via email or telephone today.