If you’re lucky enough to own a vacation home, you’ll know just how important regular vacation home maintenance is in order to keep it in tip-top condition all year round. In an effort to help simplify the process, we’ve put together an annual vacation home maintenance checklist for your convenience.
Spring and Summer Home Maintenance
This is the perfect time to give your vacation home a new lease on life by cleaning and maintaining your home to be ready for your next winter visit. Some of the areas to be checked for maintenance are:
- Check the exterior of the home for the following:
- Roof damage
- Crack or movement in concrete
- Paint chips
- Holes that needs repairing
- Gutters – do they need cleaning or any maintenance
- Windows and doors – check for damaged or rotted wood and reseal or replace, reapply exterior caulk if the gap around the door or window is wider than a nickel.
- Garden Maintenance
- Check the irrigation system for leaks and/or rusting and ensure it is set for early morning
- Check the lawn for potential drainage problems
- Prune and fertilize garden
- Spring Clean the exterior of your home – walls and paving with pressure hosts to remove dirt, mold, stains, etc.
- Service the Air Conditioning System
- Insect Control
- Trim shrubs and trees close to the house to ensure they do not touch the roof or walls
- Mosquito Treatment. Check your property for possible mosquito breeding areas and clear them.
Winter and Fall Home Maintenance
- Keep a close eye on any cracks in your vacation home’s foundation and repair them before the spring with caulk or silicone.
- Keep the water pressure strong in the shower(s) by removing the showerheads and cleaning out all the mineral deposits.
- Change Air filters
- Replace smoke detector batteries and carbo monoxide detector batteries
- Clean Garbage disposal
- Weatherproof your windows and give them a good deep clean
- Clear dead plants and shrubs around the foundation of your home to avoid damage to the structure
- Check the heating system if you have one for those couple of days of cold weather.
- Do minor repairs
- Cooler months are ideal for installation or transplanting trees and woody ornamental shrubs.
When it comes to vacation home maintenance, there’s a lot to do. That’s why so many homeowners opt to enlist the expertise of the experts to do it all for them! For information on vacation home maintenance services you can trust, contact Gardens Home Management Services today.